Monday 8 August 2011

So there is life beyond the M60....

Occasionally, Manchester Girl leaves Manchester, but not for very long.  The Sunday before last was Lovely Boyfriend’s birthday so we decamped to Chester for ‘an adventure’ as he put it, staying in the Macdonald’s New Blossom hotel on St John Street – and rather fancy it was too!  I’d forgotten just how beautiful Chester is.  There is a commonly held belief (although not commonly held in Chester I presume) that Chester is a poor man’s York.  I admit it, I have been guilty of subscribing to this view.  But this is a narrow minded view.  Chester truly is a stunning city and there are far less tourists than you’ll find in York. 

Starting with drinks at the Red Door (which is conveniently located next door to the New Blossoms hotel and sells proper drinks – no beer!) we made our way round a few traditional pubs with oak beam ceilings and then stopped at The Blue Bell Oriental Restaurant for tea.  LB thought the meal rather average but I enjoyed my vegetable spring rolls, samosas and chips.  The crispy noodles that resembled a bird’s nest were a disappointment – I was hoping for some 80’s style crispy noodles (maybe made by Blue Dragon?) no wonder LB looked at me funny. 

The highlight of the night was walking round the city walls.  I didn’t even know you could do that!  Apart from a small section being repaired.  Walking around Chester Cathedral, over the River Dee at least one and past the racecourse, it was a perfect way to spend a warm summer’s night.  Manchester Girl spoiled the romance of it all a little by repeatedly shouting ‘Bring on the wall!’  You had to be there.  Actually I’m rather glad you weren’t.  Three’s a crowd, yeah?  Spending 17 quid on LB’s credit card on 2 drinks back at the hotel was rather amusing too.

So, the next day it was off to the zoo.  I met a big gorilla and I thought it was my boyfriend.  I also met some pelicans, baby cheetahs and little tiny baby meerkats!  I’m still undecided on zoos (conservation vs. incarceration) but I did enjoy it. 

I’m tempted to say that the highlight of Manchester Girl’s weekend was getting asked for ID outside Revolution on Foregate Street but I just think the doorman should’ve gone to Specsavers. 
If it’s been too long since you were last in Chester, just go!  Just don’t spend too much time propping up the hotel bar unless you’re staying in a Travelodge....

No comments:

Post a Comment